The following are 10 tips which will aid the Office of Buildings and Properties in providing better and more prompt service to your campus.
- Provide a brief description of the problem and its location. As most of you will be using MP5, you are only allowed 45 characters in the job description field. Avoid the use of obscure abbreviations and be sure to include spaces between words.
- Not all Work Requests should be submitted to the Office of Buildings and Properties. Before submitting work requests, be sure which department is responsible for the problem. As always, if you are unsure, call 6265 for advice.
Include a Work Request Number. Since we process a large number of work requests, you must have a work request number. MP5 will assign a number to each work request as they are submitted. If you call in a work request, be sure to have that number ready so that you can provide that number to our dispatcher. As always, even if you have called in a work request, we still require that you send in a work request online.
- Emergency Work Requests should be called in immediately. The trick here is deciding what is an emergency and what is not. Threats to life and safety, issues affecting security, or conditions that interfere with instruction qualify as emergencies.
- Be sure to include all necessary information. Describe the problem and its location. Be as specific as necessary so that our craftsmen can locate the problem without bothering anyone at the campus.
- Before calling in or sending a Work Request, check for any obvious causes and/or solutions. Be sure the equipment is plugged in. Ask your custodian to look for a valve under the sink that will shut off broken faucets, to check that the “mull” in the center of a doorway has not been installed upside down, or to be sure someone has not turned off a breaker in the mechanical room.
Be brief. Because we are taking calls from 80+ locations, we would appreciate your cooperation by providing us with only the necessary information.
- Be Timely. Because most of the Office of Buildings staff works from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., report problems that require immediate attention as soon as possible.
- Maintain a Work Request log sheet. Keeping a list of work requests will enable you to quickly and easily keep tabs on the status of repairs to your building.
- When in doubt, call. We are here to be of assistance to you. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact us.