Critical Needs Supplement
Teachers can receive stipends based on the subject they teach, their certification, and additional requirements, if listed. Please refer to the attached document for the current year stipends.
To be eligible for the supplement:
- Teachers must be fully certified in the critical needs area. Teachers in an alternative certification program will not be eligible for the critical needs supplement until they receive their five-year certificate.
- Teachers must be teaching during the regular school day. Teachers who teach in a critical needs area during a zero period will not be eligible for the supplement.
- Bilingual teachers must serve bilingual students at least 50% of the day.
- Title I bilingual teachers must serve bilingual students at least 50% of the day.
- SEI (Structured English Immersion) teachers must be fully certified in ESL and teaching bilingual students.
- AEA (Accelerated English Academy) teachers must be fully certified in ESL and English and teaching ELL students.
Part time assignments in a critical needs area will be prorated.
Critical needs supplements will be paid in two installments: 1/2 of the annual amount in October and 1/2 in March of each year.
The teacher will lose the critical needs supplement immediately when he/she is no longer teaching in the critical needs area or no longer certified to teach in a critical needs area. Teachers will not receive the critical needs supplement until all paperwork is complete in the Human Resources Department. If a critical needs teacher is employed after the school year starts, the critical needs supplement will be prorated on a daily basis.