Two-Way Dual-Language Immersion Program
Two-Way Dual-Language Immersion starts in fall 2019 in kindergarten classrooms at the following campuses:
- de Santiago EC/PK/K School
- García-Leza EC/PK/K School
- Hinojosa EC/PK/K School
- Magrill EC/PK/K School
- Vines EC/PK/K School
The program will expand by one grade level each subsequent year.
No matter one’s first language, learning a second language is becoming crucial as we become global citizens. AlSD’s Two-Way Dual-Language Immersion program is offering new opportunities for families to become part of this proven method that helps students become proficient in two languages.
Why choose the program?
- Native English speakers and native Spanish speakers receive general academic instruction in two languages.
- Studies show DLI students outperform non-immersion peers in two important ways:
- English learners reached English proficiency at higher rates
- DLI students (native and non-native speakers) perform as well as or better than their peers in core content areas such as English, mathematics, and science
What are the goals of the program?
- Fluency and literacy in English and Spanish
- Immersion in different linguistic and cultural backgrounds
- Increase knowledge and appreciation of cultures
What are the features of the program?
- Unique and exciting opportunities for students to prepare for a global future
- Rigorous academic curriculum that prepares students for college and career
- Students support and learn from each other